Penicillin was discovered in 1928 by Scottish bacteriologist Alexander Fleming, It still plays a very important role treating all types of bacterial infections.
Unfortunately, some humans have had allergic reactions to penicillin, some severe, even life-threatening. Today, amoxycillin, which is a derivative of penicillin, is the antibiotic of choice as it is better tolerated. Amoxycillin also acts on more types of bacteria in both humans and pets. It is used in the treatment of injuries, respiratory infections, tooth abscesses, skin and ear infections, urinary and bladder infections and more.
The question is whether dogs and cats can be allergic to penicillin and its derivatives and the answer is yes.
Signs of an allergic reaction can be breathing difficulty, rash, hives, rapid heartbeat, excessive drooling, vomiting, swelling of face, lips or tongue, unusual bruising or bleeding, fainting, seizures.
If your pet is prescribed any form of penicillin, keep a close watch on him/her for any adverse reactions. If a reaction does occur, take your pet immediately to the vet or emergency clinic for treatment as his/her life could be at risk.
Whenever your pet is given a new medication, be sure to inform the vet of any other medicines and/or supplements s/he is taking.
Always follow your vet’s instructions including dosage even if your pet appears better. If you have any questions concerning your pet, please contact your vet at once.