Modern life has not always taken into account the health of the planet. Recently, more and more people have become aware of the importance of taking care of Planet Earth. How can pet owners become more “green”?
- Recycle old towels, bedding, leashes, litter boxes and pet toys by donating them to local shelters.
- Give your pet filtered tap water for drinking instead of bottled water. When you do use bottled water, recycle the bottles.
- Scoop dog poop with biodegradable bags instead of regular plastic bags. Cats can use eco-friendly cat litters which don’t contain mined minerals.
- Natural shampoos and grooming products are earth-friendly.
- If you raise reptiles or small mammals, consider growing fruit and vegetables for their consumption. Use natural alternatives to insecticides (such as mulching).
- For pet-related cleanups, use vinegar diluted with water instead of bleach. Use rags or recycled paper towels.
- Put light and heating bulbs in your reptile and fish habitats on timers.
- Make your own dog biscuits. If you purchase them, recycle the containers.
- Buy pet supplies in bulk, so you won’t throw away as many packages and your trips to the store will be less frequent.
- Use a long-lasting pet food/water bowl, made out of stainless steel or ceramic.
- Support spay and neuter practices and promote adoption over breeding.