Addtional Toxic Dangers to Pets

If your dog is anything like one of mine, there is no limit as to what goes in their mouths. Murphy has even been known to eat poop, but she finally gave up that disgusting (to we humans) habit with a little help from me. Playing or ingesting dangerous articles is not limited to dogs – cats and other pets are also at risk.

While manufacturers create products to make our lives easier, some can pose a danger to our pets. They come in attractive, size-right containers and often smell good to our pets. Laundry and dish detergent pods or capsules are in that category. Because of their size and packaging, pets often view them as toys or food.

Since detergent in the pods is more concentrated, the risk of toxicity is much greater. Pets may bounce them around as they would a toy, but eventually they wind up in a pet’s mouth. The detergent is released either with the pet biting through the package of the pet’s saliva releasing the contents.

The ASPCA reports that dogs are more apt to ingest these items than cats or other pets. Ingestion by your pet of these products is usually followed by vomiting. Call your vet or Poison Control in your area immediately for advice on what to do.

Fabric softener sheets are another no-no. Don’t even let your pet rub or lie on them. They can cause major intestinal irritation along with drooling, appetite loss, oral burns and possible ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract.

Another dangerous pet habit is licking lotions or other products that we humans apply to our skin, particularly those that contain food-based ingredients such as coconut oil. Whether personal care products or other topicals that contain steriods, antibiotics, antifungals, zinc oxide, salicylates or other medicines and more, don’t allow your pet to lick your skin if you’ve applied anything to your body. At the least, these products can cause stomach upsets and some ingredients can kill your pet.

Consider switching to organic, non-toxic products where possible.

Keep all potentially dangerous products well out of the reach of your pet.

If you suspect your pet has ingest any potentially harmful product, call your vet or emergency clinic immediately.

Facebook Comments Box