If you’re researching pet insurance, this is one place you can start to learn all about Trupanion as a pet insurance company.
Trupanion began in Canada in 1999 under the name Vetinsurance. Our CEO decided to bring the company down to the US in 2007, but changed the US brand name to Trupanion.
Trupanion was the first pet insurance to receive the AAHA Seal of Acceptance, and we did not pay for this. This Seal of Acceptance simply means that we’ve met their standards for a pet insurance plan. You can learn more about the Seal on AAHA’s Website.
Trupanion Policy Overview
- What we cover: 90% of the actual costs of all diagnostic tests, surgeries, and medications (including hereditary and congenital disorders) and optional hip dysplasia coverage.
- What we exclude: Pre-existing conditions, hip dysplasia (optional coverage for pets enrolled before age 1).
- What are the limits: Trupanion has no payout limit over the life of your pet, with no limits per year, claim, illness, procedure, or condition.
- What are the deductible options: We have a customizable deductible slider with which you may choose $0 all the way up to $1,000 in increments of $5. A higher deductible reflects a lower monthly premium and vice versa.
- Rate increases: Trupanion doesn’t increase rates based on filing claims or age brackets. There is an occasional increase due to the inflation of veterinary costs.
Check out our Pet Insurance Comparison site for more info and to compare rates and coverage.