Lymphedemia is a swelling due to improper drainage of the lymph system. German Shorthaired Pointers, poodles, Labrador retrievers and Old English Sheepdogs are prone to this disease.
- Swelling of the legs that typically starts at the foot and advances toward the body. This most commonly happens in the hind legs.
- Swelling of the chest,abdomen, ears and tail
- Sometimes, lameness and pain, although this is rare
There is no cure for this disease, only treatment for the symptoms, which may include :
- Pressure wraps
- Bulleted list item
- Warm water massage
- Antibiotics for secondary infections
- Benzopyrones to reduce swelling