Cats cannot generally be trained to do tricks like dogs can, but they can learn some basic skills. The key to training a cat is to make desirable behaviors pleasant for the cat and undesirable behaviors unpleasant. Cats decide whether or not to repeat a behavior based on the results it got. Reprimands and punishments don’t work on cats. Instead, set up the cat’s environment so that it can easily succeed at desirable behaviors and so that the undesirable behaviors are not rewarded.
Cat training articles:
- Aggression in Cats
- Can Cats Be Clicker Trained?
- Cats as Mousers
- Crating Cats
- How do I train my cat?
- How to Toilet Train Your Cat
- Saving Your Cat in Case of Fire
- Train Your Cat to Come When Called
- Training Your Kitty to the Carrier
- Walk Your Cat