How to Get Rid of Skunk Odor

skunk

I’ve never had the experience of being sprayed by a skunk. But I’ve been around others who have and trust me, it’s not an odor you forget.

Skunk spray is made of sulfurous, oily chemicals in the anal glands of the skunk. Skunks can accurately spray up to 15 feet away but usually use this defense as a last resort.

The first thing you don’t do is let your pet in the house or at least try to confine it to one room. The odor will be even more difficult to remove once it permeates your home.

If you live in an area where there are skunks, it’s a good idea to keep products on hand that will help eliminate the odor.

Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and bleach work well. You can make a paste of a quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and about a teaspoon of liquid soap. Mix together and rub into your pet’s skin. Then bathe your pet. If necessary, repeat as many times as it takes to get rid of the odor. Don’t forget to use rubber gloves to avoid getting the odor into your hands.

For furniture, carpets and clothing, replace the hydrogen peroxide with vinegar as the peroxide may bleach fabric.

You can also try sprinkling plain baking soda on affected areas and vacuum off.

A combination of 1 part bleach to 9 parts of water will help eliminate the odor from areas that won’t be stained by the bleach. Also be aware that chlorine bleach is toxic, so try not to use it near your pets.

Wash clothing in your washing machine with your regular detergent. It may take several washings to get rid of the odor.

There are commercial skunk odor removers available as well.

If all of this fails, contact your vet who will have a stronger wash for your pet. For furniture, carpets, your clothing and anything else, you probably will need the help of professionals.

There are people who keep skunks as pets, but they have the glands that produce the spray removed.

Facebook Comments

Comments

comments