A while back, de-worming a horse was a job for the veterinarian. A tube was passed through the horse’s nose into the stomach. A liquid de-wormwer was then pumped through the tube.
The latest de-wormers (called anthelmintics) made by drug manufacturers can be administered by horse owners. They require simply squirting a dose of gel or paste into the horse’s mouth or adding de-wormer to feed.
The American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) issued new parasite control guidelines. They state that it is impossible to completely eradicate all parasites from an individual horse. The parasites are relatively mild pathogens and only when high levels are present do they become disease-producing.
The number of treatments are determined by the amount of parasite eggs shed by a horse. Any further treatments are on an “as needed” basis.
Horse owners should still check with their veterinarians about when to de-worm each individual horse.