Copper Toxicosis

Copper Toxicosis occurs due to excess accumulating of copper in the liver, resulting in chronic hepatitus. If not treated properly , the affected dog can die because too much copper in the body may be toxic. Failure in excretion mechanism may result in accumulation of toxins such as copper in the liver . And this excessive storage of copper makes it difficult for the liver to metabolize the toxic contents . Some breeds susceptible to copper toxicosis are the Bedlington Terrier, the West Highland White Terrier and Skye terrier.

In the initial stages, jaundice, hepatomegaly and haemolytic anaemia, anorexia, vomiting, weakness, weight loss, lethargy, depression, dehydration, ascites polyuria/polydipsia, cachexia etc may be found .Petechial or ecchymotic hemorrhages, melena, or epistaxis may also occur when the disease progresses .

For faster treatment and recovery , take the affected terrier to a veterinarian . Also you could try making some changes to the diet of your dog so as to reduce the intake of copper

See other dog diseases.

Facebook Comments

Comments

comments