Welcome to The Pet Wiki Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Is it okay to give my dog peanut butter?

+1 vote

As a treat, I've been giving my dog peanut butter. He really seems to enjoy it and I get a kick out of watching her try to eat it. Am I being mean - it takes her a long time to get it down. Is healthy for her to eat?

asked Mar 12, 2013 in Dog Health by mamairis (6,910 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Although I sometimes give my dogs their supplements in a bit of peanut butter, I wouldn't give it as a regular treat. Aflatoxins can be present in peanut butter. Aflatoxins are a group of naturally occuring fungi that produce toxic mold. They can be found in grains and commercial products such as peanut butter, cooking oils, cosmetics and so on. If you do give peanut butter once in a while, definitely use the natural product that doesn't contain any sugar or preservatives.
answered Apr 17, 2013 by (36,420 points)