10 Most Popular Exotic Pets
Ever wondered what the most unusual pets are? Animal Planet provides us with a list of the 10 most popular exotic pets:
- Capybaras - The largest rodent in the world, native to South America.
- Stick Insects - These easy to care for animals are popular pets for children.
- Miniature Donkeys - These donkeys are almost full-sized and should be adopted in pairs.
- Hedgehogs - Docile and mostly friendly, they don't seek out affection. Some areas have outlawed the keeping of hedgehogs as pets.
- Pygmy Goats - Goats require a lot of space to roam. They are sociable animals and happier in groups.
- Pot-Bellied Pigs - These pigs are fairly small, odor-free and easy to train. Due to their aggressiveness, they should be kept in singles and not by families with small children.
- Sugar Gliders - Part of the possum family and native to Australia, these animals are capable of bonding with humans if handled when young. They are best kept in pairs and need a lot of space for climbing on tree branches.
- Wallabies - These Australian marsupials need a lot of space to jump around (more than a normal backyard) and can be expensive to care for.
- Skunks - Once their scent glands are removed, their sensitivity and intelligence shine through. They are likely to live for about 10 years.
- Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches - These insects don't fly or bite and can be enjoyable for children.
If you are considering adopting any of these species, make sure to research it thoroughly, including whether the laws in your area allow the keeping of these pets.